Monday, March 9, 2009

Song of the Heart

Doctrine and Covenants 25:12
"For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads."
Select verses of Latter Day Saint hymns that have made a difference in my life.  (Music and words for these hymns can be found at http://www.lds.org/churchmusic/http)

Joseph Smith's First Prayer:  Hymn No. 26  verses 3-4

Suddenly a light descended, Brighter far than noon-day sun,
And a shining, glorious pillar O'er him fell, around him shone, 
While appeared two heav'nly beings, God the Father and the Son,
While appeared two heav'nly beings, God the Father and the Son.

"Joseph, this is my Beloved; Hear him!" Oh, how sweet the word!
Joeseph's humble prayer was answered, And he listened to the Lord.
Oh, what rapture filled his bosom, For he saw the living God,
Oh, what rapture filled his bosom, For he saw the living God.

Beautiful Zion, Built Above:  Hymn No. 44

Beautiful Zion, built above; Beautiful city that I love;
Beautiful gates of pearly white; Beautiful temple-God its light;  
He who was slain on Calvary Opens those pearly gates for me.

Beautiful heav'n where all its light;  Beautiful angels clothed in white;
Beautiful strains that never tire;  Beautiful harps thru all the choir;
There shall I join the chorus sweet, Worshiping at the Savior's feet.

Beautiful crowns on ev'ry brow; Beautiful palms the conq'rors show;
Beautiful robes the ransomed wear;  Beautiful all who enter there;
Thither I press with eager feet;  There shall my rest be long and sweet.

Chorus:
Zion, Zion, lovely Zion, Beautfiul Zion; 
Zion, city of our God!

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty:  Hymn No. 72

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise him, for he is they health and salvation!
Join the great throng, Psaltery, organ and song, Sounding in glad adoration!

Praise to the Lord! Over all things he gloriously reigneth.  
Borne as on eagles wings, safely his Saints he sustaineth.
Hast thou not seen How all thou needest hat been Granted in what he ordaineth?

Praise to the Lord, Who doth prosper thy way and defend thee.
Surely his goodness and mercy shall ever attend thee.
Ponder anew What the Almighty can do, Who with his love doth befriend thee.

Praise to the Lord!  Oh, let all that is in me adore him!  
All that hat breath, join with Abraham's seed to adore him!
Let the "amen" Sum all our praises again, Now as we worship before him.

I Believe in Christ:  Hymn No. 134

I believe in Christ; he is my King!  With all my heart to him I'll sing;
I'll raise my voice in praise and joy, In grand amens my tongue employ.
I believe in Christ;  he is God's Song.  On earth to dwell his soul did come.  
He healed the sick;  the dead he raised.  Good works were his; his name be praised.

I believe in Christ;  oh blessed name!  As Mary's song he came to reign
'Mid mortal men, his earthly kin, To save them from the woes of sin.
I believe in Christ; who marked the path, Who did gain all his Father hath,
Who said to men, "Come, follow me, That ye, my friends, with God may be."

I believe in Christ-my Lord, my God!  My feet he plants on gospel sod.
I'll worship him with all my might;  He is the source of truth and light.
I believe in Christ; he ransoms me.  From Satan's grasp he sets me free, 
And I shall live with joy and love In his eternal courts above.

I believe in Christ;  he stands supreme!  From him I'll gain my fondest dream;   
And while I strive through grief and pain, His voice is heard:  "Ye shall obtain."
I believe in Christ; so come what may, With him I'll stand in that great day
When on this earth he comes again to rule among the sons of men.

I love hymns for their ability to invite the Spirit and lighten my mood.  Hopefully you will be able to find the same peace and comfort that they have offered me.


No comments:

Post a Comment