Monday, March 16, 2009

A Short Sermon on Diligence

A compilation of thoughts on diligence:  
Doctrine and Covenants 58: 26-28
"For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.  Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness; For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves.  And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward."
I love the phrase "anxiously engaged in a good cause."  We should all be doing something good, with a willing desire in our hearts.  It is not just enough to do something good simply because we know we should, but we should do it because we know we want to be doing it.  
I find that if I have goals to work towards, I feel the small steps along the way to the big goals make me feel much more productive when I am able to check them off my list.  I am simple minded.  So, when I break things into smaller tasks I feel like I am getting somewhere, as opposed to having one large daunting task ahead of me.  It also keeps me motivated to keep going.  I can see how far I have come, and what little I have left to do.
 
Now for a small series of quotes:

"Diligence is steady, consistent, earnest, and energetic effort in doing the Lord's work. The
expects you to work diligently-persistently and with great effort and care...Do many good things 
of your own free will (see D&C 58:27)...Focus on the most important things and avoid wasting 
time. Pray for guidance and strength" (Preach My Gospel, 121)

"Our Father's plan is marvelous. Your exercise of faith builds character. Fortified character 
expands your capacity to exercise faith. Thus, your confidence in conquering the trials of life is 
enhanced. And the strengthening cycle continues. The more your character is fortified, the 
more enabled you are to exercise the power of faith.
The axiom 'You get what you pay for' is true for spiritual rewards as well. You get what you
pay for in obedience, in faith in Jesus Christ, in diligent application of the truths that you learn.  
What you get is the molding of your character, with growth in capacity, and the successful 
completion of your purpose here on earth-to grow through being proven." 
(Richard G. Scott, "The Sustaining Power of Faith in times of Uncertainty and testing," 
Ensign, May 2003, 75)

"So what does it mean to obey the commandments, to keep our covenants, and to serve the Lord 
with 'the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime'? It means to be a 100 percent Latter-day
Saint, 100 percent of the time. In scriptural terms, it means to follow the direction King Benjamin
gave to his people: 'I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good 
words, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his' (Mosiah 5:15). It means to follow 
the plea Father Lehi gave to a wavering son: 'O that thou mightest be like unto this valley, firm 
and steadfast, and the immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord!' (1 Nephi 2:10)." 
(Dallin H. Oaks, "The Dedication of a Lifetime," CES Fireside for Young Adults, 1 May 2005). 

This next week I am challenging myself to be more diligent in my studies, in using my time wisely,
in my scripture reading, in anything I can think to better myself in. Now don't get me wrong, I am 
not going to be working 100% of the time. No I am just going to try and do better. Have small short
goals that I can accomplish, but at the same time that will stretch me and make me better next week.
I'll report back and let ya'll know how I did because that knocks out two blogs with one good cause.  
Lastly, I will leave you with my motto for this next week so I don't kill myself: "A fanatic is one who 
has lost sight of the goal but redoubled his efforts to get there."


...oops forgot to hit publish...minor detail

No comments:

Post a Comment