Monday, February 23, 2009

The House of the Lord

As I was reading Doctrine and Covenants Section 124 in preparation for class this week, I was reminded of my pleasant experience this weekend, but first a little background.  D&C 124 is where the Lord commands the saints to build the Nauvoo, Illinois temple.  This is only the second temple that was able to be successfully finished in this dispensation.  The Nauvoo temple allowed for saints to receive their temple ordinances in the fulness that we now understand them today.  Since its dedication in 1841, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has 128 temples in operation.
One temple that is on the verge of operation in the Draper, Utah temple.  When dedicated, along with the Ocquirrh Mountain Temple, there will then be 4 temples in the Salt Lake Valley alone.  I have been able to watch this temple be built from the ground up.  Driving between Provo and Salt Lake since my freshman year of college, I have watched the structure come to life.  During the later part of Spring '08 I was driving around in Draper with my cousin.  We sort of stumbled across the temple, and this was the first time I was able to see the exterior finished.  As far as I was concerned, at the time, the temple was finished and beautiful.  Little did I know how exquisite the inside would be when it actually would be finished.  My second experience with this temple was seeing it at night, illuminated for the first time.  A friend and I were driving out that way, and I was just stunned when I looked up on the hill and saw it.  This was sort of a problem, since I was the one driving at the time...  Its grandeur was magnificent.  I loved it.  Last, but not least, this past Friday I was able to go to the open house, and actually walk through the temple.  It was beautiful!  The amount of time, and effort that went into the inside is jaw dropping.  The celestial room is simply exquisite.  Every part of the temple, is remarkable, no matter what ordinance is performed in that part.  
I think the best part of all of this is that I know, one day I will be able to receive my endowment, and participate in the wonderful ordinances and education that go on in the temple.  

No comments:

Post a Comment